Previous studies conducted in China have shown mesenchymal stromal stem cells have the potential to treat patients with lupus and the more severe SLE. However, the results seen in these trials are in patients of similar ethnic backgrounds. New results, of a proof-of-concept study conducted in Spain, were published in Lupus in October, 2018, and support the use of MSCs for the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in patients with different ethnicities.
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a systemic autoimmune disease that occurs when your body’s immune system mistakenly attacks your own healthy tissues and organs. The Stem Cells Transplant Institute in Costa Rica, uses human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells (hUC-MSCs) for the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus.
The study, “Therapeutic potential of allogeneic mesenchymal stromal cells transplantation for lupus nephritis,” showed MSCs can control the symptoms of SLE in three patients of different ethnicities who were diagnosed with chronic SLE and presented with class IV active proliferative nephritis. Two of the patients were male Spanish Caucasians and the third was of Bolivian descent. All three patients had suffered from SLE for more than 10 years and current standard treatments were no longer effective.
Ninety million MSCs were given by intravenous injection during high and very high active disease flare-ups. The stem cells were taken from the bone marrow of healthy donors, purified, expanded. The patients were then followed for nine months.
Researchers quantified and assessed markers of inflammation, immune activity, kidney function and disease severity at months 1, 3, 6, and 9 post-treatment. Results showed all three patients responded to treatment with two of the patients showing a complete response with decreased inflammatory markers, improved kidney function and lower disease severity scores over the entire 9-month follow-up. The third patient had a partial response and all patients were able to reduce traditional treatment medications by 50-90%.
No adverse events or safety problems were reported.
Stem Cell Therapy at the Stem Cells Transplant Institute
Mesenchymal stromal stem cells are able to differentiate into other specific types of cells, including bone, muscle, and fat cells. These cells have the potential to treat SLE because they can reduce inflammation and bone loss. At the Stem Cells Transplant Institute, we recommend MSCs, derived, purified, and expanded from human umbilical cord tissue, for the treatment of Lupus and SLE.
What are the advantages of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells?
- Abundant supply containing up to 10 times more stem cells than bone marrow or adipose derived stem cells
- hUC-MSC have immunosuppressors and immunomodulatory properties that allow their use in any individual without rejection- Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) matching is not necessary
- Greater proliferation ability than adult autologous stem cells
- They regenerate at a very rapid rate
- They are young and very adaptive
- They have not been impacted by the aging process
- Umbilical cord stem cells can be administered multiple times over the course of days
- Eliminates the need to collect stem cells from the patient’s fat or hip bone reducing pain and recovery time
Why treatment at the Stem Cells Transplant Institute is different
- At the Stem Cells Transplant Institute, we believe every patient, not just the rich and famous, should be able to experience the powerful regenerative benefits of stem cell therapy.
- At our clinic, we tailor each stem cell treatment, based on the patient’s individual needs and goals.
- At the Stem Cells Transplant Institute, we use only adult mesenchymal stromal cells.
- Our clinic offers mesenchymal stem cells derived and expanded from human umbilical cord tissue.
- The human umbilical cord stem cells are collected, expanded, and tested over a three- week period before use at the Stem Cells Transplant Institute
- Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells and autologous mesenchymal stromal cells have been proven in clinical trials to be safe and effective.
- The mission of the Stem Cells Transplant Institute in Costa Rica, is to provide the highest level of care, using the most advanced technologies, to every patient that wants to experience the life changing benefits of stem cell therapy.
Contact us today to learn more about the benefits of stem cell therapy.
- J Barbado, S Tabera, A Sánchez et. al., Therapeutic potential of allogenic mesenchymal stromal cells transplantation for lupus nephritis. Lupus. October 5, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203318804922