Stem cells can give rise to almost any tissue found in the body, as a result stem cells, can provide nearly limitless potential for medical applications. This medical field is know as Regenerative Medicine and is the point of interest of the most relevant universities and medical centers in the world.
After many years, in the United States stem cells therapies are in Clinical Trial Phase, the last step to FDA approved therapies, however there are not available today at this country. Stem Cells Transplant Institute in Costa Rica has legally approved therapies available with the highest standard of health care quality.
At the institute we care for our patients to be informed with the latest advances in this topic. Stem cells are a Nobel discovery for human healthcare.
Let´s take a look to some of the seven most recent and interesting news in Stem Cells:
• ANTI-AGING EFFECTS: With age, neurons lose their ability to maintain the quality of their protein content. Pluripotent stem cells, on the contrary, do not age and have increased mechanism to maintain the integrity of their proteins. Stem cells produce a decoy protein to attenuate growth signals. Artificially regulating this pathway might help keep muscles supple in muscular dystrophy or during normal aging
• EFFECTS ON MYASTHENIA GRAVIS: A report on seven cases of severe myasthenia gravis (an autoimmune disease characterized by severe muscle weakness) suggests that autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation may result in long-term remission that is symptom and treatment free, according to an article published online by JAMA Neurology.
• STEM CELLS, UNDERSTANDING DISEASE: Harvard Stem Cell Institute researchers have used a colorful, cell-labeling technique to track the development of the blood system and trace the lineage of adult blood cells travelling through the vast networks of veins, arteries, and capillaries back to their parent stem cell in the marrow. Their findings have already advanced the understanding of blood development as well as blood diseases.
• STEM CELLS IN BRAIN INJURY: Results of a clinical trial for traumatic brain injury using a patient’s own stem cells showed that the therapy appears to dampen the body’s neuro-inflammatory response to trauma and preserve brain tissue, according to researchers at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
• STEM CELLS IN BURN INJURY: The golden standard for treating burn wounds are full thickness skin grafts. But most of these grafts for severe burns require a donor and are hard to come by. By combining the graft technique with a specially engineered sheet of stem cells, researchers from Michigan Tech and the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University in China, demonstrate an improved skin graft process. Their work, published in Theranostics, focuses on creating engineered tissue that maximizes a body’s natural healing power.
• STEM CELLS IN STROKE: In a stroke, blood flow to the brain is interrupted, causing brain cells to die within minutes due to lack of oxygen. In some cases, this can result in vision problems, paralysis, memory loss and speech and language problems. In a new study, researchers have shown that stem cell therapy increases nerve cell production in mice with brain damage due to stroke.
• STEM CELLS AND DIAETES: Researchers have produced insulin-secreting cells from stem cells derived from patients with type 1 diabetes. The new discovery suggests a personalized treatment that relies on the patients’ own stem cells to manufacture new cells that make insulin. If damaged cells were replaceable, type 1 diabetics wouldn’t need insulin shots. According to studies made in Washington University School of Medicine.
It is fascinating the new world of possibilities that Stem Cells treatment is bringing for certain diseases that have very limited therapies currently. Stem Cells transplant Institute in Costa Rica is a pioneer on the Stem Cells Industry, and we feel honored to be the bridge between stem cells and our patients. The advances are growing fast and every day there is a lot to learn about these amazing cells. Let us be your advisor.