Pros & Cons: Stem Cell Therapy
The fact that stem cell research could unlock the potential cure for a great number of diseases is reason enough for scientists to dedicate a great deal of time and money towards utilizing the research to develop therapies based on the use of stem cells.
The stem cells have the ability to self-renew and also give rise to further generation of cells that can multiply. Stem cell therapy is a type of cell therapy wherein cells are introduced into the damaged tissue so as to treat the injury or the disorder.
There are a number of stem cell therapies that do exist and that are being applied in many countries with great results, experimental stages in the United States are having very promising outcomes.
Research on stem cells has been a topic of discussions in the past few years. The stem cell therapy carries its own pros and cons and both proponents like opponents have evidence to support their points of views.
Stem Cells Transplant Institute in Costa Rica offers high quality stem cell therapy. As an Institute that cares about its patients, it is contributing to inform about the pros & cons of Stem Cell Therapy, to help patients to make the best decisions.
Pros of the stem cell therapy include:
• Stem cells can be utilized to create more types of cells.
• Stem cell Research offers a lot of medical benefits in the therapeutic sectors of regenerative medicine and cloning.
• Research on induced pluripotent stem cells will help reprogram diseased or damaged tissues and Issues of histocompatibility with donor/recipient transplants can be avoided.
• Stem cells can be utilized to treat many complicated diseases like diabetes, traumatic spinal cord injury, hearing and vision loss, Parkinson’s muscular dystrophy and heart diseases.
• Adult stem cells are less likely to be rejected when used in transplants and they are possible to reprogram. Also success of adult stem cells has already been demonstrated in various clinical applications.
• Abundant Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells can be used from a donor, because they are taken from adult tissue like adipose and bone marrow.
• Stem cells of the embryos are less problematic to isolate and identify. And they are easy to purify and grow.
• Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells are very useful for drug development and developmental studies
• Stem cell therapy helps the researchers know more about the growth of human cells and their development.
• In future, because the drug could be tested on a population of cells directly, the stem cell research can allow the scientists to test a number of potential medicines without carrying out any test on animals and humans.
• The stem cell therapy puts into use the cells of the patient’s own body and hence the risk of rejection can be reduced because the cells belong to the same human body.
Cons of the stem cell therapy include:
• Adult stem cells are hard to grow for long period in culture.
• There is still no technology available to generate adult stem cells in large quantities.
• Embryonic stem cells may not be accepted when used in transplants
• Induced pluripotent stem cells usually have no certain method of maintenance and reproducibility
• There is limited ability of the adult stem cells to grow in culture for long
• Stimulated pluripotent cells normally do not have any p method of maintenance and reproducibility.
• The embryonic stem cells remain in controversy because the cells are taken from human embryos.
• Usually there is a very small number of adult stem cells in each tissue making them difficult to find and purify
• Embryonic stem cells may become a cause for tumors if they are used straight from undistinguished culture prep.
• The long-term side effects of the therapy are still unknown.
• If the cells used in the therapy are embryonic then the disadvantage is that the cells will not be from the same human body and there are chances of rejection.
• The stem cell therapy is still under the process of research and there are a number of things that needs to be established yet.
Researchers believe that the stem cell therapy has the potential to change the treatment of human diseases. The possibilities for the eradication of disease and injury related death and suffering are endless. There are literally hundreds of current genetic disorders and immunological diseases that could be cured with the use of stem cell research.
Over 100 million American citizens stand to benefit from the stem cell research. Even if stem cell research is unable to locate a cure for all of the diseases and injuries, there is a very good chance to develop treatments, so that patients no longer have to live in constant pain or physical limitations.
Some medical experts have opined that the advent of stem cell research could be the greatest development when it comes to eradication of the human race’s suffering and pain since the invention of antibiotics.
In conclusion, stem cell research has been a topic of discussions, but the potential benefits from stem cells are definitely higher than the damages; it is important to end as much human suffering as we possibly can and leave a less painful existence for the next generation. Don’t hesitate to get more information at Stem Cells Transplant Institute in Costa Rica.